Asbestos information, instruction and training
Every employer must make sure that anyone who is liable to disturb asbestos during their normal work, or who supervises those employees, gets the correct level of information, instruction and training so that they can work safely and competently without risk to themselves or others.
Workers and supervisors must be able to recognise asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) and know what to do if they come across them in order to protect themselves and others.
There are three main levels of information, instruction and training. These relate to:
- Asbestos awareness
- Non-licensable work with asbestos including NNLW
- Licensable work with asbestos.
Attending a training course on its own will not make a worker competent. Competence is developed over time by implementing and consolidating skills learnt during training, on-the-job learning, instruction and assessment.
It is important that the level of information, instruction and training is appropriate for the work and the roles undertaken by each worker (and supervisor). Using a training needs analysis (TNA) will help to identify what topics should be covered to ensure workers have the right level of competence to avoid putting themselves or others at risk.
Asbestos Awareness FAQ's
Most work with higher risk asbestos-containing materials must be carried out by licensed contractors. Only competent workers and managers, provided with suitable information instruction and training and using appropriate respiratory and other protective equipment, may undertake licensed asbestos work. Further information on providing information instruction and training for licensable work can be found in The licensed contractors’ guide HSG 247 and the Approved Code of Practice L143 Managing and working with asbestos.
Employers should also make the following information available to workers doing licensable work with asbestos: For the specific work being done:
- a copy of the risk assessment for that work
- a copy of the plan of work
- details of any air monitoring and results
- details of notification of work made to the enforcing authority
- maintenance records for control measures
- the individual’s own personal information from health records
- the results of any face-fit test for RPE provided for work with asbestos
- a copy of the licence
- any anonymised collective information from the health records
Information instruction and training on asbestos awareness is merely intended to help workers avoid carrying out work that will disturb asbestos. There is no legal requirement to repeat an entire formal awareness refresher training course every 12 months. However some form of refresher should be given, as necessary, to help ensure knowledge of asbestos awareness is maintained.
Refresher awareness could be given as e-learning or as part of other health and safety updates, rather than through a formal training course. For example, an employer, manager or supervisor who has attended an awareness course and who is competent to do so, could deliver an update or safety talk to employees in house.
A realistic, commonsense approach to refreshing knowledge and skills, based on judgement of individual abilities and training needs is all that is usually required.
There is no need for employees who have received training for licensable or non-licensable work to do the lower level awareness refresher training.
GR Safety Solutions are ideally placed to provide you and your team with the latest in Asbestos awareness training.
Why choose GR Safety Solutions for asbestos awareness training?
- Our professional health & safety consultants are available 24/7 to advise and support you on any health & safety issues.
- We’re highly qualified to carry out your risk assessments for you
- We can act as your competent person
- We create health & safety policies, procedures and management systems bespoke to your business
- We can help you achieve and promote a positive health & safety culture
The Highest standard of asbestos awareness
We like to make it easy
You Contact Us
Simply use one of the easy access contact methods to contact us today phone, email or live chat with our advisors.
We will go through your training requirements and advise you the next steps of what to do.
We will guarantee first class service when we carry out our agreed plan of action and throughout our time together