As an employer, you must protect your workers from the health risks of working with display screen equipment (DSE), such as PCs, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations apply to workers who use DSE daily, for an hour or more at a time. We describe these workers as ‘DSE users’. The regulations don’t apply to workers who use DSE infrequently or only use it for a short time.
How to protect workers’ health
The law applies if users are, for example:
- at a fixed workstation
- mobile workers
- home workers
- hot-desking (workers should carry out a basic risk assessment if they change desks regularly)
- do a DSE workstation assessment
- reduce risks, including making sure workers take breaks from DSE work or do something different
- provide an eye test if a worker asks for one
- provide training and information for workers
Incorrect use of DSE or poorly designed workstations or work environments can lead to pain in necks, shoulders, backs, arms, wrists and hands as well as fatigue and eye strain. The causes may not always be obvious.
If workers use display screen equipment (DSE) daily, as part of their normal work, continuously for an hour or more, employers must do a workstation assessment.
Employers should look at:
- the whole workstation, including equipment, furniture, and work conditions
- the job being done
- any special requirements of a member of staff, for example a user with a disability
Where there are risks, they should take steps to reduce them.
Employers must also do an assessment when:
- a new workstation is set up
- a new user starts work
- a change is made to an existing workstation or the way it’s used
- users complain of pain or discomfort
Use this DSE workstation checklist to help make an assessment.
Why choose GR Safety Solutions for your DSE Workstation assessments?
- Our professional health & safety consultants are available 24/7 to advise and support you on any health & safety issues.
- We’re highly qualified to carry out your risk assessments for you
- We can act as your competent person
- We create health & safety policies, procedures and management systems bespoke to your business
- We can help you achieve and promote a positive health & safety culture
Competent DSE Workstation Assessments
We like to make it easy
You Contact Us
Simply use one of the easy access contact methods to contact us today phone, email or live chat with our advisors.
We will go through your training requirements and advise you the next steps of what to do.
First Class Service
Once we have agreed a plan of action we will provide you with a first class service throughout our time together.