The major purpose of accident investigation is to establish what has happened in order to prevent recurrence. The conclusions arising from any accident investigation must be presented in a form which allows management to create appropriate action plans.
In any business or organisation things don’t always go to plan. You need to prepare to deal with unexpected events in order to reduce their consequences. Workers and managers will be more competent in dealing with the effects of an accident or emergency if you have effective plans in place that are regularly tested.
You should monitor and review any measures you have put in place to help control risk and prevent accidents and incidents from happening. Findings from your investigations can form the basis of action to prevent the accident or incident from happening again and to improve your overall risk management. This will also point to areas of your risk assessments that need to be reviewed.
An effective investigation requires a methodical, structured approach to information gathering, collation and analysis.
Health and safety investigations form an essential part of the monitoring process that you are required to carry out. Incidents, including near misses, can tell you a lot about how things actually are in reality.
- Investigating your accidents and reported cases of occupational ill health will help you uncover and correct any breaches in health and safety legal compliance you may have been unaware of
- The fact that you thoroughly investigated an incident and took remedial action to prevent further occurrences would help demonstrate to a court that your company has a positive attitude to health and safety
- Your investigation findings will also provide essential information for your insurers in the event of a claim
An investigation can help you identify why the existing risk control measures failed and what improvements or additional measures are needed. It can:
- provide a true snapshot of what really happens and how work is really done (workers may find short cuts to make their work easier or quicker and may ignore rules – you need to be aware of this)
- improve the management of risk in the future
- help other parts of your organisation learn
- demonstrate your commitment to effective health and safety and improving employee morale and thinking towards health and safety
Investigating near misses and undesired circumstances, where no one has been harmed, is as useful as, and may be easier than, investigating accidents.
In workplaces where a trade union is recognised, appointed health and safety representatives have the right to:
- investigate potential hazards and dangerous occurrences in the workplace
- examine causes of workplace accidents
A Guide to Accident Investigation
The purpose of accident investigation is to determine what led to the accident occurring, with the ultimate aim of identifying what can be improved (safety controls, working practices, changes to protective equipment etc) to both ensure that the same incident does not happen again
Why choose GR Safety Solutions for Accident Investigation?
- Our professional health & safety consultants are available 24/7 to advise and support you on any health & safety issues.
- We’re highly qualified to carry out your risk assessments for you
- We can act as your competent person
- We create health & safety policies, procedures and management systems bespoke to your business
- We can help you achieve and promote a positive health & safety culture
We like to make it easy
You Contact Us
Simply use one of the easy access contact methods to contact us today phone, email or live chat with our advisors.
We will go through your training requirements and advise you the next steps of what to do.
We will guarantee first class service when we carry out our agreed plan of action and throughout our time together